Regulatory Services

Home / Regulatory Services

Our team is filled with friendly, knowledgeable people who are here to help you and your business grow, offer free advice on regulatory and business services and make you feel confident and comfortable. Please get in touch if you have any questions at all. We would love to have a chat and give advice to help your business thrive.

Business Rates

Business rates are a local tax paid by the occupiers of all non-domestic property.

Business rates are charged on most business properties such as shops, offices, pubs, warehouses and factories. However, the property doesn’t have to be used for a business – if it is used for purposes which are not domestic it is likely to be rateable. We will send you a business rates bill each year.

For more information on business rates and how to pay yours, click here.

Trade Waste

If you run a business operation, the likelihood is you will need to pay for your waste to be taken away. Allerdale Borough Council works in partnership with Allerdale Waste Services to provide this.

To see what we collect, request a quote or check when trade waste is collected, click here.

Planning and Building Control

Put simply, if you would like to change the appearance of your premises, you will need to apply for planning permission whilst building control deals with the technical and constructional details of the building work. You may not need both, but best to check.

We offer charged for pre-planning advice to save you time and money in the long run, but if you are ready to go ahead or simply want to check on your planning application, click here.

Food hygiene and Health & Safety

We ensure good practices when it comes to handling and storage of food and the health and safety of employees and customers, overseeing a vast array of food businesses from pubs, hotel and B&Bs to schools, hospitals and cafes.

We have all the advice you need to run your business safely, just click here.

Licencing and street trading

Some businesses will require a licence to trade, this means you can operate legally. At Allerdale Borough Council we approve licences for taxi and private hire, alcohol and entertainment, animal related businesses, street trading, temporary event notices and caravan and camping site businesses.

Our team are here to help you make the process as quick and painless as possible. If you know you need a licence or would just like to check, please click here.